Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Growing a Pair

Yesterday I did something that I normally wouldn't do. The background is basicall that I applied for a new job last week-within my current company-a new position that would suit me so well I couldn't even believe it- and awaited a phone call. I arrived Monday morning to find 2 emails from our recruiter. The first was the generic "I am reviewing all applicants" email, and the second was a canned response that basically stated she was pursuing candidates with a skill set that better matched the position.

I was annoyed, and then pissed. My skill set IS this position. Yes, I have done a different job for the last 10 years, however, my resume and college experience speak to being qualified. How am I not a match?

I would normally just let this sit. I feel so strongly about this job though, that I sent an email to the recruiter. I asked her whether she could explain how my skill set didn't match, and whether she would have some time to discuss it with me. I asked to be put through to the interview process and to let the line of business decide whether or not I was a strong candidate.

She and I played phone tag all day yesterday, and I have an appointment to speak to her on my lunch hour.

BOOYA! (really??)

Regardless of the outcome, I am proud to have stood up for myself. I am at a point in my life where it is time to take control of my career. If it doesn't work out with this particular position, I want it to be known that I am motivated to move. To take the next step.

Well, that's kind of exhilarating now, isn't it?

10 comments:

LoriD said...

Go you! That was a very bold move, but very productive!

Jess said...

This is great. Go you for advocating for yourself! I hope the meeting goes well!

d e v a n said...

Awesome!!

bananafana said...

good for you!!!
good luck!

CAQuincy said...

You rock! Way to stand up for yourself!

Tess said...

Good luck, and good for you! I'm at this place too. After 8 years doing the same shit and letting the tide carry me, so to speak, I need to be more agressive. Lest I spend ANOTHER 8 years doing THE SAME EXACT SHIT OMG GAH GAH PFFT.

Misty said...

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Go you! If you don't stand up for yourself, no one else will.

Mommy Daisy said...

Good for you! You'll definitely have to keep us updated on what happens!

bethany said...

How did it go??