Friday, December 3, 2010

Snowy Days

Oh Hai! Did I mention that it snowed here?? It did! A lot! We are, in fact, still digging out of it all. We had 36 or so inches fall over the course of about 2 days and, well, wow. The kids were basically chomping at the bit to get out and play in it, and Bud went out to help Hub start clearing a path before I even thought about going out with the girls. We couldn’t open our back door, so the boys pretty much dove off the front porch to get out. And then Hub had a good time throwing Bud in to the deep deep snow. Bud thought it was pretty funny too.

Although I was home with 3 kids, I had a project plan that I had to put together yesterday morning, and there was no getting around getting it done, so that is what I did while the boys worked. The girls were supposed to be entertained by Grandpa, but somehow kept escaping, and so my work was slow. But I did eventually finish, and was able to get the girls dressed and ready to go out. True to form, It took 30 minutes to get dressed for about 10 minutes of play. But as far as they were concerned, it was worth it. Liv wasn’t overly thrilled with the snow; she was afraid to walk on it, and I wasn’t about to carry her around, and accident waiting to happen, so after snapping a few pictures, we went inside.

This is my van:



Here is Bud on FIL’s car. Notice how his wrists are exposed? They were very red for a long time yesterday and I was nervous—but he is all better now.



Lucy will pose for the camera anywhere…that’s my girl!



Here is Liv before she decided that she hated the snow:




This is our yard all covered in snow. The kids enjoyed climbing in to their playhouse and pretending it was a snow fort.



And here is the front of the house. This is a very lot of snow.



And finally, here is me! I really wanted to show you my new purple coat, but not my bushy eyebrows that desperately need tending. But, you get what you get. See also: cheap Target hat. I need something cuter. And my good gloves were trapped in my van, and you can’t see it here, but I have Bud’s Spiderman gloves on. Good thing I have small hands!!



Oh, and afterwards, we all had hot cocoa, of course!




Last night, the National Guard was on our street pulling out stuck cars. It was really kind of neat to see, in the way of holy shit, this is kind of a natural disaster. The Thruway was closed for over 24 hours, with people trapped in their cars. It was kind of crazy, but this is the sort of thing that happens here from time to time. People tend to get their panties in a bunch about it, saying things like “our leaders should have better plans for dealing with snow”, etc etc. I think it is on us to have the plan. Like how about stay off the thruway when it is snowing at a rate of an inch per hour. Tractor trailers will jackknife, and you will be stuck. I guess it’s just easier to bitch though.

Today, schools were closed again, and I sent Bud and Lucy with Liv to the daycare who gladly takes school agers on snow days (cha ching!). I couldn’t deal with the stir-craziness again today, plus I had several meetings to attend, so it was better to have them gone. I threw together beef stew in the slow cooker, and cleaned up a bit and got lots of work done. Hub has spent more time snow-blowing our elderly neighbors out of their driveways than he has on ours, but I’m confident I’ll be able to drive again tomorrow.

I really don’t mind the snow; I couldn’t imagine winter anywhere else or any other way. I have fond memories of growing up in the city, and walking with my father among snow piles taller than me. And really, as long as we are safe and warm, what is there to mind?

6 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

Oh man, that is a TON of snow. Hopefully it was light and fluffy and not the wet heavy crap that makes shoveling the steps a heart attack waiting to happen.

It's snowing here pretty hard and people are coming into the office saying it took them 30 minutes to go 4 blocks on the freeway, so I am not excited about my 22-mile commute home.

Mama Bub said...

I always think I want to live where it snows, and then I see that and I get nervous. But, hot cocoa and beef stew sound wonderful!

Jess said...

Oh, I love the snow. We still haven't really gotten any--a couple of dustings but I'm not sure anything we've had so far even qualifies as measurable. I am still paranoid that everything we haven't gotten yet will all come down at once the day I go into labor. But at least we don't get lake effect storms out here!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. Big hugs, Paprika

Misty said...

These pictures make me shiver in a fun way. Oh, wish we could play in the snow...but just for a little while.

I was thinking about the roses growing outside my office that are lipstick pink and as big as my hand. Christmas Roses...strange yes?

Kristin said...

We haven't had a good storm like that here since I was a kid. As much as I despise snow days, it would be kind of fun to have a big,big snow. My kids would freak!