Wednesday, February 29, 2012

When another woman wants to date your husband...

Hub and I have friends, a couple, who we have known now for 20 years. I will call them Lana and Fred. Lana was Hub’s next door neighbor, and she and I were friends in middle school (in the years that I was not a big fan of Hub’s). She moved when I was in 8th or 9th grade and I lost touch with her. She and Hub kept in contact quite a bit though.

When Hub and I began dating we would hang out with Lana occasionally and some friends of hers, one of whom was Fred. They were just friends at that point, but this gives you a clear picture of how long Fred has been around. Lana was always very affectionate towards Hub, but she is also the kind of girl who kisses ME hello, on the lips, and thinks nothing of it, so it never really bothered me.

We grew up, did the college thing and lost touch with Lana and Fred. When we were planning our wedding, we ran in to them in a restaurant, together with a child and one on the way. We reconnected and started hanging out again fairly regularly. Fred stood up in our wedding. We considered them to be family.

Soon after though, Lana started rubbing me the wrong way. She would make these comments to Hub, always with a laugh, pretending she was kidding.

“Well, now that Saly’s pregnant, I guess you and I never have a chance.”

This one was when they were on the phone (Hub always talks on speaker) and I was in the other room. “I have this plan, that when Saly and Fred die, you and I will finally get to be together.”

And finally, a couple years ago “Hey Hub, how come you never asked me out when we were teenagers? How come you and I never hooked up?” This was said in front of me, in my living room. Hub and I just looked at each other, and I said “Are you kidding me??” and she just laughed it off. They have not been back at our house since.

Now, Fred works for Hub in some capacity, and they do come to our family parties and we haven’t cut them out of our lives or anything, but we definitely don’t just hang out anymore. Hub and Fred, maybe once in a while, but that’s it.

So on New Years, Lana texted Hub “Happy New Year, Babe!” and he ignored her. A few weeks ago, she texted him “Hey Hub, I’ve been thinking about you. I hope you’re doing well. I miss you!” which he also ignored, but also started to think that she was possibly being inappropriate. Then yesterday, she sent him the following: “Hi Hub. If I was able to get my hands on tickets for (musical in town this weekend) for Friday night, would you want to go with me?”

This is why I had to give the background to this story. That text alone is innocent enough—wanting to do something with her old friend, I guess. But I kind of think she was asking my husband out on a date. People get fancied up, and go downtown and see what ever show has come in for the week. It’s something 2 girlfriends would go see, or a couple. He hasn’t answered her yet because he doesn’t know how to play it.

These are the options he is considering:
1. Are you asking me out on a date? LOL! (and then seeing what her response is)
2. Are we talking 2 tickets or 4 tickets?
3. Deleting the text and pretending he never got it.

I think I am in favor of number 1, or a combination of 1 and 2. Either that or I’m going to take a drive and unleash my fists of fury.

What would you do in this situation? What would you have your husband do? Do you think it’s possible that I am overreacting? To be clear, Hub has shared all of this with me; I’m not a snooper. But seriously. What’s the best way to handle this little situation?

19 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

Oh, this would rankle me, especially if I wasn't close with the woman. Then I could at least write off her behavior as a joke. But, this seems kind of icky. (Why would she only invite him, and not you?) I would have him text back a combo of #1 and #2 and even throw in a #4: "I'm flattered, but happily married" just to make sure she gets the message.

Anonymous said...

I'd skip the humor and go for number 2. She may joke back something equally puzzling and infuriating, like "Do you want me to be talking about a date?" If he's straightforward, asking if it's for everyone and making sure in that text to say that he only wants to go if everyone goes, there's little she can do to confuse up that crap.

Nowheymama said...

Or, #4: That sounds great! Saly and I would love to go!
Then if she responds that she meant just the two of them he can shut it down.

This whole thing is WILDLY inappropriate. I can't believe she said all of these things. I don't care about history: she and Hub are married adults now. You do not call a married man "Babe" and say "I have this plan, that when Saly and Fred die, you and I will finally get to be together" FTLOG.

Forget my first vote: fists of fury it is.

Mommy Daisy said...

Wow, that's crazy. I'm glad that you and Hub are secure enough to trust each other and not be worried about that part.

Whew, I don't know how I'd handle it. I like Nowheymama's suggestion. Honestly that's probably more like what I would do.

Good luck!

emily said...

I'd go with #1 :) If she says "no, not a date" he could say - well, it would seem too much like a date for me to be comfortable with it. if she says "yes" he can say, I'm MARRIED you loser
;)

Swistle said...

I dislike this. She's being icky.

The problem with the "Are you asking me on a date" joke is that it sounds flirty, and also it's hard to follow up if she says no.

It doesn't sound like four tickets: if it were four tickets, she would have asked if he wanted to go "with us" not "with me."

I keep wanting to think, "Well, maybe she just doesn't realize how this sounds"---but looking at her other remarks, it looks pretty clear and blatant to me. I think if it were my husband, I'd have him respond "No, thanks"---because even if it was four tickets, I wouldn't want to hang out with her.

If I DID want to go (and if I wanted to continue to hang out with them socially), I'd email her myself and say "Hub told me you might be able to get tickets for Friday night! That sounds like fun! Let us know as soon as you can, and we'll see if we can get a sitter!"

Swistle said...

P.S. The "Hub told me" part has the added bonus of letting her know he's keeping you informed of everything.

CAQuincy said...

I'd either go with #4, "Yes, Saly and I would LOVE to go!" or Swistle's simple, "No, thanks."

Or...really cause some problems and have hub call back to respond to FRED! "Hey! Lana says she can get tkts this weekend! Saly and I are looking forward to hanging out with you two!"

Yeah. NOT comfortable AT ALL.

Sarah said...

See, this woman's playing the classic, "I'm being so open and obvious and blatant with my flirting that everyone can ONLY conclude it's a joke, or that I'm just "that way" i.e. super friendly and affectionate, because who would ACTUALLY be that open about flirting with a married man?" game. I've seen a few women, and men, do this, and it's so gross. Clever, but gross.
I'd do Swistle's thing. And I wouldn't feel the least bit like I was being jealous or suspicious or overreacting. You're right.

Anonymous said...

I like #4, if that's option other than giving her the smack down. She is completely inappropriate. What does Fred say/do when she says this kind of stuff in front of you? I would assume it would not sit well with him. Oooh, she's just gross.

LoriD said...

Ugh. I don't think I could shrug it off with a joke. If you want to go, Hub can respond with the 2 tickets or 4 question; or "Sure, call Saly with the details". If you don't, he could respond with a simple "No thank you" or "Thanks, but Saly and I have plans." She is acting poorly and the response needs to be absolutely clear.

Maggie said...

I think the "no thanks" would probably be where I'd head here. She is being completely inappropriate.

My husband and I are very good friends with another couple and the husband and I in that couple have a lot more in common than I do with the wife. That said, neither of us would ever even consider asking the other to go to some event that we and not our spouses would enjoy. It should go without saying that that behavior would be creepy and unacceptable to everyone in both couples.

d e v a n said...

you've gotten lots of good responses here. I'm seeing red for you!

Misty said...

This...amazes me. Wowzers. Can't wait to see how you guys handled it.

Mama Bub said...

Ick. I hate everything about this. There's nothing appropriate about her comments, EVEN if they are jokes. Once? Maybe? Fine. Multiple times, both in your presence and not? Not okay.

Unknown said...


i want to share my wonderful testimony on how a spell caster name DR KATE was able to bring back my ex boy-friend. will started dated when will were in high school for more than 11 and half years, and will promise to marry each other, before will were living a happy life take me out to different places love and cherish me, but one day he cheated on me not only that he was dating the girl and he was very serious about it, he know longer take me out as before he always shout at me and called me a fool and left me for the past 7 months without see him, so i told a friend of my name TRACY and she introduce me to this spell cast DR KATE LOVE SPELL who help me cast a love and return spell that bring back my ex boy-friend name SAM in just 48 hours and i was so surprise when he called me asking for my forgiveness telling me he still love and cherish me that he is come back to me again. thank you TRACY once again thank you DR KATE LOVE SPELL you can reach him at: katelovespell@hotmail.com

Miss Joyce said...

This is my testimony about the good work of a man who helped me..My name is Joyce Moran, and I base in Canada. My life is back!!! After 2 years of marriage, my husband left me with our three kids. I felt like my life was about to end, and was falling apart. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Ekpiku who i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I was searching for a good spell caster that can solve my problems. I came across series of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. There was one particular testimony I saw, it was about a woman called grace,she testified about how Dr Ekpiku brought back her Ex lover in less than 72 hours and at the end of her testimony she gave Dr Ekpiku e-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give Dr Ekpiku a try. I contacted him with his via email address and explained my problem to him. In just 2 days, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before. Dr Ekpiku is really a talented and gifted man and i will not to stop publishing him because he is a wonderful Dr…If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve that problem for you. Try Dr Ekpiku today, he might be the answer to your problem. Here’s his contact: Ekpikuspelltemple@live.com Thank you once again Dr Ekpiku. Contact him for the following:

(1)If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dreams.
(3)You want to be promoted in your office.
(4)You want women/men to run after you.
(5)If you want a child.
(6)[You want to be rich.
(7)You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8)If you need financial assistance.
(9)If you want to stop your Divorce
10)Help bringing people out of prison
(11)Marriage Spells
(12)Miracle Spells
(13)Beauty Spells
(14)PROPHECY CHARM
(15)Attraction Spells
(16)Evil Eye Spells
(17)Kissing Spell
(18)Remove Sickness Spells
(19)ELECTION WINNING SPELLS
(20)SUCCESS IN EXAMS SPELLS
(21) Charm to get who to love you.
Contact him today on:Ekpikuspelltemple@live.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i'm Tanya,i want to share a very wonderful testimony about Dr Ekpiku the spell caster who help me get my ex back when he left me for another lady, i contacted so many spell caster but non could help me bring him back until i contacted Dr Ekpiku and explain everything to him, he told me not to worry cause i am going to get him back in just 24 hrs with love-spell, power of his gods and forefathers, i trusted in him and did everything he ask me to do, i hopefully wait for the result to my greatest surprise my ex called me and apologize for the pains he has cause me,now we are both happy together and even more in love than before, if you are out there and you are looking for a solution to any problem kindly contact Dr Ekpiku through his email address on :Ekpikuspelltemple@live.com.