Wednesday, June 16, 2010

10 year look back

Last week I celebrated (well, if by celebration you mean nothing was said and I still don’t have my 10-year brick) my 10 year anniversary with my company. 10 years—Holy Cow. It still seems like such a short time span, but no, it really has been 10 years since June 5, 2000. Many things are different, and here are a few:

• I was 21 years old. It felt like I had my whole life ahead of me. I remember that I worked 12-9 when I first started, and I would find myself out until all hours of the night and still be able to sleep in until 10:30 before I had to get up and get ready for work.
• Hub and I had been together for 6 years at that point. We got engaged that summer (August 14th to be exact, at Cedar Point)
• I had many friends, and none of us had children
• I weighed about 60lbs less than I do now
• My hair was looooong—like down to my butt long.
• Our house was “the place”. Everyone hung out there and we all came and went. Aside from Hub, I spent the majority of my time with my 2 girlfriends, J and M. And with my brother, who was 18 or 19 at the time.

Now of course, I’ve moved way up in my job, I’m married, and the majority of my time is spent with my children. Hub and I don’t go out, but we work around the house. A good time for us is cooking a good meal, watching some good TV and going to bed early. I think the reason that 10 years ago doesn’t seem so long ago, is that we settled in to these routines soon after we were married in 2002. Our lives have been very much the same for the better part of 8 years. Sometimes I wonder if I should regret getting married, settling in a career and having kids young. I don’t in the very least.

Another thing that happened 10 years ago was my very first foray in to blogging. I still keep tabs on that blog and update it occasionally. I thought that in honor of the 10-year anniversary, I’d share some excerpts with you all over the next few weeks. Sometimes, I sound incredibly douchey. It is evident how young I was. I’m glad to have it though. Here is something from my very first entry. I will first point out that I was still young enough to round up my age. And that I was pretty careless with the spell check. And also- Prime example of douchey 21-year-old me (though I still think Sweetest Day is stupid). Ok, here it is; don’t judge me:

Ah...Americana
Wednesday, July 05, 2000 I celebrated Fourth of July like a real American, on a blanket at the state university, Starbucks coffee in hand. I was just sitting there remembering how simple things used to be. We used to watch the fireworks from Uncle Phil's deck every year for christ's sake, and now hear I am 22 years old, at a totally commercial event, watching a major fireworks display. Now don't get me wrong, the fireworks were damn cool; it's just amazing how much things have progressed in the past 10 years. I feel so old!! Nothing is just simple anymore, everything has to be made in to an event. I wonder if it's because people are so money hungry??? Take Sweetest Day for instance........WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?? It's the holiday created in october because there are know holidays for gift-giving between Father's Day and Christmas, that's what it is. It's completely dumb and made up, and has no sentimental value. Ed and I have never celebrated Sweetest Day....how freaking dumb.
Well, now i'm going of on a tangent, so I'm gonna go get some Starbucks.....MMMMMM Mocha-Brownie Freeze.....Until next time~sara~

4 comments:

Jess said...

Wow, so much has changed in 10 years! Like you, we are very domestic and maybe it's not what we're supposed to be doing in our 20s, but we like it.

Tess said...

This is my NINTH year here. I mean, WHAT?

I will never regret a life spent cooking and watching tv. AT ALL. Totally agree.

d e v a n said...

happy 10 years!

Anonymous said...

We've been friends for 10 years? OMG! Sister friends, 10 years strong! Woot. You're amazing. Just amazing. I hope one day I get to hug you for reals. Love you, Paprika xxx