Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Free for All

• I started writing a post earlier in the week about my near-11-year-old cat, Oswald and how he was nearly dead from renal failure, but I deleted it. I didn’t want it to get all crazy cat lady up in here. He was so bad that the vet wanted to hospitalize him to the tune of $1500, which we most definitely didn’t have in our budget. I’ve been giving him iv fluids and meds at home and he’s doing quite well. We don’t know how long it will work, because the damage is permanent and it’s sparked a lot of conversation up in here about how much is too much to do for a cat and how much is too much money to spend just to keep him alive for an undetermined amount of time.
• It occurred to me the other day that I have a little more than a month of lunch packing left for the school year, and I got giddy. Not that I won’t have to make lunch all summer long anyway, but I really hate packing with the individual wrapping and portioning and what have you. I wish these brats would just buy lunch, but they just don’t enjoy school lunch.
• We had Muffins with Mom at school this morning, so I was up, showered and ready to go before 7am which I don’t think has happened even once since I started working from home. Hub had picked up the muffins from the bakery this morning (that’s right..we serve real food and drink at our functions, not a bunch of pre-packaged crap) and left them in my car, so the kids and I dropped them off and set up. I didn’t even have a chance to sit and have a muffin with them, but I don’t think they minded all that much. From there, I took Liv to preschool where we made a Mother’s Day craft together, and later I have ice cream with Bud’s class. By the time we get to actual Mother’s Day, I’ll be wiped out!
• I am in desperate need of a haircut. The lady mullet has grown out and is far from attractive. I’m thinking short. I really liked the short front of the lady mullet, and my face has thinned out a bit so I think I can pull the short hair off again. Haircuts are exciting!

8 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Hee hee. "lady mullet" Hee hee!

d e v a n said...

Ooh yay! A hair cut is always a good boost :)

Swistle said...

Those cat decisions are so difficult. We had a cat awhile back who was facing a $6000 issue, and we chose to have him euthanized instead, and it was...very strange. I still think it was the right decision (he was 16 years old) (but still in such good health otherwise) (as you can see, I still struggle with it a little), but it's so odd to have to put price-tags on things like LIFE.

bananafana said...

Our dog is getting to that stage and I'm dreading the inevitable decisions we'll have to make . . . On the hair - i'm thinking about chopping my hair off but i'm going to let the person doing the chopping decide how much. i'm entirely indecisive about my hair so we'll see what happens! I'll whack all mine off if you do

Laura Diniwilk said...

Glad to hear that Oswald is doing better. I bitch a lot about my cats but I'd be devastated if they were sick.

Ugh I dread making school lunches already, and I have a few years before we will be there. I feel like that will be one of the first life skills I'll teach Adriana.

I love that you always post your haircuts, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you had gone. Glad to hear that things are going well. Beware of cutting your hair when Venus is in retrograde (you are Libra!), it might not work out as you want. I miss you. Paprika xxx

Maggie May said...

I am with you on the lunch packing!!

I hope your kitty feels better.

Misty said...

See, summer is my heavy lunch packing season with summer camps and lovely allergies and whatnot. I am trying to figure out if there are good bulk-lunch-crap places online.