Friday, May 9, 2008

Kitchen Remodel Update (Alternate Title-- I am in Hell.)

I came home yesterday to find our kitchen 100% gutted—which is good considering our install is on for next Friday. Here are my concerns:

• You can see my bathtub from my kitchen—not actually in to the bathroom, but the entire underside of the tub.
• If you look under the tub, you can see my basement.
• What the hell is stopping the tub from falling in to the basement? One very large beam.
• Where the ceiling was torn apart, you can see the old roof which hasn’t been in use since, like, 1963.
• 2 items we collected from the rafters: a very old nipple for a baby bottle and piles of silly string. The only thing we can guess is that prior tenants shoved them in the walls upstairs and they drifted down.
• Hub insists that as a child he shoved many of his sister’s toys in the same walls. If doll heads fall out of my ceiling, I am leaving for good.
• My stove is covered in plaster and dust. I mean everywhere. This can not be good.
• Despite the use of a plastic partition, my living room is also full of dust.
• I’m pretty sure Hub isn’t making me a fancy breakfast on Sunday.

This is the worst project ever. Don’t buy a house that was built during WW2. Also---don’t remodel your kitchen.

8 comments:

Jess said...

Thanks for the warning! And also, maybe he isn't making you a fancy breakfast but will he take you out for one instead?

Nowheymama said...

I shudder to think what you might find in the walls of our house, built in 1936.

Beck said...

My house was built in 1910. We are undertaking the first major kitchen renovation since... I don't know when, but I'm bracing myself for HORROR.

Anonymous said...

Oh ugh! & you know it's only going to get worse. But you'll have a shiny new kitchen in the end!!!

Sarah said...

Here's hoping everything's tidied up before Olivia makes her appearance!

Kristin.... said...

My "other" house was built in '42. We never undertook any major renovations, partly because of that fact. The house still has wooden countertops; no granite or formica. Painted wood. I hated that the most. I wish you well in your project. Happy Mother's Day!

Tess said...

Kitchen remodels seem particularly heinous. UGG.

Mommy Daisy said...

I hope is gets done fast. Then you won't remember all this that you're going through. ;)

I still remember my parents remodeling their kitchen of their 1900 house when I was maybe 2. Yikes!