Wednesday, July 8, 2009

In which I bitch and moan

Every day for the last 10 or so days has been “one of those days”. Hub is crazy, the kids are crazy. And I feel crazy.

It started a week ago Saturday, when Hub worked all morning/afternoon and I ran around alone with all three kids doing banking, shopping, and then a ridiculous and tiresome lunch in the park. I had no sooner got home, got all 3 kids sleeping and had just fallen asleep myself when Hub got the call that his mother was in heart failure and being rushed to the hospital. She is DNR, so OMG. Hub is the healthcare proxy as well, so he needed to be there, BUT he also needed to be home to take the big kids to see Walking with Dinosaurs by 6PM. It was a freaking roller coaster.

All of last week went along like that, Hub splitting his time between work and the hospital. I was alone with the kids every single night last week, working dinner, bed time, baths, prepping for the next day, everything. And while my children are (mostly) well behaved angels during the day, they turn in to hell beasts at night. I don’t know why they have such a hard time settling down in the evening, but they do. And usually Hub is there for at least part of the time to help corral them. By the time Wednesday came along though, I was contemplating driving off a cliff, or possibly locking them all in a closet while I went off on a drinking binge. Yes, it was that bad.

MIL is better though, had a nasty case of pneumonia that was exacerbated by a. smoking, b. living in a second floor apartment with no AC, and c. generally not taking care of herself. She’s been depressed for a long time now, and it has kind of come to a head. She is out of the hospital and staying with her mother. We are looking to get her in to assisted living; Hub is getting power of attorney and will be her legal guardian.

I feel like this shit shouldn’t be happening to us for another 20 years. We shouldn’t have to take care of his 55-year-old mother.

To top it off, my SIL is coming to town TOMORROW because she feels like she needs to see her mom. She hasn’t been home for over 3 years. Guess where she is sleeping? That would be my couch. I warned her that there are children up at all hours of the night. She doesn’t seem to mind. Ok then.

So, the ride has not yet ended and doesn’t appear to be stopping soon. Calgon! Take me away!

8 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I am so, SO sorry. Please know that I am thinking of you.

Misty said...

Lordy, girl. This has ME stressed out and I am only reading about it.

Feel better. Take care of yourself. Breathe.

CAQuincy said...

Oh my goodness. What a mess! You poor things!

Jess said...

I agree that it seems too soon for this. Like if his mom can still go stay with her mom, it's too soon for the kids to have to deal with this.

Sorry this is all happening! I hope things calm down soon.

Tess said...

I am so sorry! It DOES feel wrong, and scary, and stressful, to have to take care of parents already at such a young age.

bananafana said...

I'm so so sorry! I had ONE night of hell with just TWO kids last weekend and reading this was giving me horrible flashbacks. I never imagined anything happening to my mom while I was/am still so young so I hear ya there. It just feels wrong to be taking care of them already. Hope things calm down soon. I'll be thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

Good gawd almighty, too much to cope with!! Listen, have you thought about something to calm those kidlings down? Some rescue remedy or lavendar bath oil or warm milk? Could help. BIG HUGS. Paprika

Mommy Daisy said...

I'm sorry that things have been so rotten. Hopefully they'll start looking up soon.