Tuesday, July 27, 2010

...and now I'll talk about my weekend.

Actually, I want to talk about where we went this weekend. If you are ever in my neck of the woods (Western NY, near Buffalo) I’d highly suggest checking it out.

Hub has been mentioning for a while, that he’d like to visit Old Fort Niagara, on the shore of Lake Ontario at the mouth of the Niagara River. I always said “Oh sure…we’ll have to do that one of these days” in an eye-rolling OMG sort of way. Like really? A fort? A historical type dealie? Not really my bag, darling. But this past Saturday, we decided to take the 45-minute ride out there. It was something to do, and if we stayed home, I’d surely be cleaning the basement, so I said “YES! Let’s get dressed and go!” And we did.

The ride was easy from our house, easier for me because Hub drove, and the kids napped in the back. When we got there, it was sprinkling a bit, but the kids were energized and ready to go. Leaving the visitor’s center, we walked a cement path for a bit before coming in to the actual fort area. The children were impressed with the draw bridge and wrought iron doors. Bud was especially impressed with the cannons. Surprisingly, I was pretty interested too. These buildings and posts set on the bluffs so strategically, I could just picture soldiers posted and watching the lake, making sure “the bad guys” weren’t coming. Bud has been playing with Hub’s old army men recently, setting them up along with their posts, and staging battles. I could see the wheels turning the whole time we were there.

Entrance to the fort

Bud checks out the cannon

More impressive to me though was the scenery. To say it was gorgeous, even on this somewhat dreary day, would be an understatement. The lake was peppered with sail boats (we found out later that we were right in the middle of one of the nation’s largest regattas), the grass and the hills were ridiculously green. Everything was just beautiful.







Even getting caught in a downpour when we were between buildings didn’t dampen the fun. Plus, with her sneakers and clothes already wet, Liv had permission to jump in the puddles.

SOAKED!!

Puddle Jumper

When we left, we followed the river in to Historic Lewiston, (Hub’s ulterior motive was checking out the gas station he used to own there) and stopped at a cute restaurant with deck seating over the river. The kids were crabby and worn out by then, but we enjoyed our meal and watched the jet boats speed by below us. It was a really nice impromptu trip. We need to do more of that.

5 comments:

LoriD said...

We were just at Fort George (on our side of the lake) a couple of weeks ago and looked over at your Fort! My guys really enjoyed it too.

Misty said...

You guys always have so much fun. We need to be more motivated at my house.

And I am liking your pretty pink watercolor-like background. Kinda stank how the old blog template place just up and ripped all of ours off. Still it is fun to go see everyone's new look.

Misty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

How pretty!

PS - Am loving your new look!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice day trip. I need some of that kind of stuff. Love you, Paprika