Monday, July 12, 2010

Staycation

Normally when I take vacation time where I don’t have a trip planned, we label it a working vacation, and accomplish projects around the house. This past week though, we hyped it up for the kids, and even though we didn’t like, go stay in a hotel, we made it a real vacation-loose bedtimes, junk food, and day trips. It was a really good time, and I was sorry to see it come to an end last night.

We spent the 4th at home, played a big game of kickball in the yard and cooked out before we went to the park for fireworks.







On Monday, Hub did have to work a bit and I took Liv to daycare so I could spend some time just with the big kids. I made triple decker peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and the kids played with the hose and sprinkler while I lounged in the sun. It was so hot that I didn’t even care when they sprayed me.

Tuesday was report card day at the local amusement park, so we took that on despite the 90+ degree weather. It never gets that hot here, and when coupled with humidity, it was kind of hard to deal with. We made the best of it though, and spent a few hours in the water park cooling off, and the kids had a fabulous time. The downside was that Liv wanted to ride EVERYTHING that the big kids rode, and well, she couldn’t. She did ride a lot though and had a grand time.







Wednesday was lazy day and was hotter than Tuesday was. We didn’t leave the house all day and played games and did crafts in the house. Ok, there was some TV watching too.

I had an appointment on Thursday morning, and afterward I came home and sunscreened the kiddos and we headed to the community pool. It was 95 degrees that day as well, and the water in the kiddie pool was like bath water. The kids didn’t mind though, and had a great time splashing around. The fountains were much cooler. Everyone was tired and hungry by the time we were done there.



Friday was Rock City, which is about 90 minutes from us. It is a walk through type deal in the mountains where rocks were deposited as a result of glaciers. It’s pretty cool. And aside from making sure Liv didn’t fall in to any crevices or just plain walk off a cliff, it was a good time. We packed a picnic lunch and ate under a shelter when we were done.









Top it off with another yard day and then The Taste of Buffalo yesterday, and it was a pretty eventful staycation. And though it was fun, I can’t wait to plan our REAL vacation the week of 8/30. We just need to decide once and for all what we are doing.

5 comments:

LoriD said...

Sounds great! Your kiddos are getting so big!

I just finished a staycation too. It was so dang hot that we just hung out by the pool, ate bbq and invited friends over to cool off. I can honestly say that it was one of the most enjoyable weeks I've spent as a mother.

Misty said...

Now I want a staycation. There are so many wonderful things to do around here that my kids have never done.

I really need to think about this.

I'm sorry it is so hot and miserable! It is so hard, even when you ARE used to it.

Jess said...

Oh, this looks so wonderful. A summer staycation is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of you with all 3 kids on the swing!!

Anonymous said...

It looks and sounds like a wonderful week. I feel so envious. It's colder here than I have remembered in recent history. Nothing compared to the US but still, when you're not used to it. UGH. I wish I was there. I feel choked up! Love you! Paprika x