Monday, July 19, 2010

Random Distraction

I’m trying to distract myself because I can’t get past the fact that one week from today is the anniversary of MIL’s death. I want to focus on the baby turning 2 next Thursday, but all I keep thinking is first comes the 26th. Yeesh. No good.

But the baby tells/asks us daily “You sing happy yoorfday to me?? I have Dora plates for my cake??” She is funny, that one. Hub keeps telling me to take some videos of her speaking because the sheer volume of words and sentence structure would blow people away. And I always mean to, but I don’t. I’m going to get her singing Happy Birthday though, that is my promise to you. You will die from the cute.

We had a very busy weekend, and I had a migraine for all of it. Bud’s Tae Kwon Do picnic was Saturday morning at gorgeous park on a large creek in the area. I took quite a few photos but haven’t uploaded any of them yet. Here is one from my phone though, of Hub, BIL and Bud. There was a Kan Jam tournament, and Hub and BIL were the champs. Cut to many jokes about polishing Hub’s trophy. (OMG)



Lucy woke up on Saturday morning with a bug ion her ear about getting her ears pierced. We’d been talking about it for a while, and I was going to take her for her 5th birthday in a few weeks, but she asked if she could just get it over with so she didn’t have to think about it anymore. (If she is not my daughter….) So after the picnic, she and I went to the mall together, and we picked out some earrings, gold flowers with a tiny pink stone, and filled out paperwork, and waited our turn. She sat on my lap and cried for a second beforehand, and then she took a deep breath, and said she was ready, and it was done. I think she was surprised at how little it hurt. From then, she couldn’t stop looking at herself in the mirror. We went to the big Starbucks as a reward, and sat in comfy chairs drinking our strawberry frappuccinos. It was all I ever imagined it to be, taking my girl to get her ears pierced. Definitely a moment to remember.




I made quesadillas for dinner, and with everything that had gone on, it was close to 8PM by the time we actually ate. And then BIL dropped my niece off for a sleepover so the kids were up until around 10. I had been popping pills all day for my headache, and I was just done. The throbbing of my head, along with some pretty bad heartburn, woke me up at around midnight. I took some Advil and tried to get comfortable on the couch. It wasn’t a great night of sleep, so when the kids woke up at 7, I needed help. Hub got up and I swore I was just laying back down for 20 minutes, but before I knew it, it was after 9. We had planned on going to 9am mass (we found a great new church that does children’s services at 9 and 10:30) but that was out. I was still moving slow, so we decided to go at noon instead. And what a mistake! It was packed and we had 4 kids and the quiet room was full. Plus there was a renewal of wedding vows and 2 baptisms. We hightailed it out of there right after communion.

Hub had the inside of my car detailed after we came home, and then we went to a party at his cousin’s house for the evening. I barely feel like we had a second to breathe all weekend long. And now we’re back to the mundane of the week, and still no closer to planning our vacation or even sooner, the girls’ birthday party. I don’t think Hub will be as busy this week as he was last week though, so hopefully we can accomplish some of that.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Ugh, sorry about the headache, that sounds atrocious. Lucy looks so grown-up with her pierced ears, though!

Anonymous said...

What Jess said is so true. Pierced ears make her such a grown up girl!

LoriD said...

Do you have any plans for the anniversary of your MIL's death? Maybe if you plan to go out to dinner or have family over for a bbq/dessert, the day will seem less ominous.

I love Lucy's pierced ears. Lisa just got hers done for her 9th birthday and Maggie is desparate to get hers done!

d e v a n said...

Busy weekend! Love the new earrings! I can't wait to do that with my daughter someday.