Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Blah.

I am up very early this morning. I am writing this before I've even had any coffee--so beware. I fear that if I don't just get a move on, nothing will be done in time for Thanksgiving. We aren't eating until later tomorrow though, since my dad has to work, so that will be a help. We've been so busy cleaning and reorganizing these last couple of weekends--so really there is just surface work to be done, but still it is all overwhelming. Hub is busy with people trying to squeeze in cleanings before the holiday, and today, he is going to install our dishwasher. Now, when I said I would like for it to be in use in time for Thanksgiving, I did not mean that he should wait until the day before to get it done. But here we are, and he has worked all night, and is back at work now, and hopefully later today we will have a working dishwasher, and not a gaping hole in my floor or cupboards, and hopefully nothing will have caught fire.

I'm not the type of person who feels pressure to have a completely spotless house, are you? I say good enough is good enough. And if you want to judge me for it, feel free. If the floors are swept and vacuumed, the counters and table are clear, the bathroom is shiny, and we've at least feather dusted, I am all good. I'm not a housekeeper, you know? I'm a mom, with a busy life, and I have better things to do than to scrub my grout with a toothbrush, or wipe my baseboards obsessively, or worry too much about the clutter in the kids' rooms.

I think you'd be very comfortable here. You might get some cat hair on you. But the comfort...it will be undeniable.

2 comments:

Misty said...

That middle paragraph. I think I am going to print it out and hang it on my fridge. What a great philosophy.

Thanks.

Laura Diniwilk said...

I would LOVE to be that mom with the spotless house, but it's not happening any time soon. Or possibly ever. But it's not for lack of pressure or desire, it's lack of time and a preference to just relax during the few minutes of the day that I'm awake and the kids are not.